st-johns-burford

To know Christ and to make him known

 Heritage 
Lady Chapel windows

The Lady Chapel was constructed in the Thirteenth Century as a guild chapel for the Burgesses of the town. At this time, it was separate from the main body of the church and the former main door can be seen at the extreme south west corner of the building. In 1396, work began on the present church building and the nave, spire and side chapels were constructed. At the same time, the Guild Chapel was incorporated into the main building and significantly shortened at the western end. Evidence of this change of use can be seen in the chapel as can the tombs of the Silvester family, many incorporating their merchant marks.

This wonderful photo of the windows was taken by a visitor, who has kindly agreed to let us use it on the website.